Takipū Marae History

After the cessation of the Waerenga a Hika wars, a parcel of land was given to Te Whānau a Taupara, a sub section of Te Aitanga a Mahaki, and accepted on their behalf by Henare Ruru 1; that parcel of land is now identified on record as being Ruangarehu K Block, Blocks IV Waikohu S.D and V Waimata S.D.

During the year 1888 the first meeting house was completed and dedicated, to become known as Te Poho o Pikihoro.  Through the ravages of the years and deterioration of materials, it was declared by the powers that be at that time, to be unsafe for further occupation, and it was in the early years of 1940 when its doors were closed for the last time.

It was at this stage when that astute gentleman the late Sir A.T Ngata offered his assistance, and with his wise counsel, advice and guidance, the project for replacement buildings was finally commenced in 1954.  Unfortunately we mourned his demise before the completion date.  His appointed successor to complete the complex was that industrious gentleman, the late Mr. Pahau Milner.

The very fine complex that we now have was finally completed and officially opened in March 1958.  The present meeting house retains the name of the original building, that is Te Poho o Pikihoro.  The dining hall is Turanga Tangatarite.

During the period 1940 to date of completion, Te Whānau a Taupara decided that to best serve a changing community was to create a building as a memorial to servicemen and women who served their country during the 1939-1945 conflict, hence the Trustees to the land and is now open to any resident in the district.

The meeting house contains twenty eight poupou, representing sixty nine ancestors from all over New Zealand.  The tahu was imported from the U.S.A.  The majority of the heke was savaged from the old buildings, there are thirty eight tukutuku panels, the cost of this building on completion was in excess of £16,000.

This building is believed to be the only one in existence to contain within its portals an image in wood of the late Sir A.T Ngata in Maori art form.

The uses that the complex is put to are numerous, such as Cabarets, functions organised by Te Karaka Volunteer Fire Brigade, St John Free Ambulance, and sports bodies.  Youth activities, education tours, live in sessions by local and visiting schools, weddings, birthdays, religious functions such as church meetings of all denominations, plus all other activities associated with the Maori people of the district.

Prepared and presented by Hoera K.T.Ruru, 7th October, 1977.